May 7, 2011

To move forward, you must go back

You come far in four years. You change a lot. Sitting in the halls of my old high school after visiting an old teacher of mine, I realize why this year seemed unfinished. To realize where you've ended up you need to go back where you started, where the changes and realizations began.
I stood where I used to all those years ago in the breezeway between the music wing and the academic side of my high school and put everything into perspective. The worst thing that I thought could ever happen to me turned out to be the best thing. It allowed me to be who I am today.
It helped me to grow, take risks, and take advantage of everything I have in the past four years.
I took up swing dancing. I've met amazing people. I met those who inspired me and those who pushed me back a few steps. But the difference was I learned to realize I was regressing before I fell back into my old ways and found the strength to move forward and onward to bigger and better things.
I set goals. I achieved them. I went to Spain and found my calling. I discovered who I am and what I'm meant to do with my life.
There are no words to describe what changed because I myself don't even know. All I know is whatever happened, whatever change occurred in my life, has made me better than I was four years ago. And for that I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment