September 19, 2011

Fiestas Patrias, Chilean style

So, I'm pretty sure that over the weekend I experienced the most amazing Fiestas Patrias celebration ever.
No I didn't go to a fonda, I didn't overdo the Chilean wine, and I don't have any crazy stories to report but I did do this.

1. I learned how to do Cueca, the national dance of Chile
2. I heard some beautiful folk music
3. I spent time with the coolest family ever

I went with Josefina to one of her friend's houses on Saturday, and my friend Barbara invited me to her house on the 18th, which is Chile's Independence day, and I had an amazing time.

Que linda! (how beautiful) There's no other way to describe it. It's one of those "you had to be there" moments.

The weather was fabulous, the people were friendly, and the music was entrancing.

Cueca is much more difficult than any other dance I've ever learned. I'm not very good at it. The steps seem simple but they're not. You tap step from side to side and then you move in a figure-eight direction. Then you spin, and come back together. I've been told it was modeled after a chicken's courting dance. But it's very beautiful. It's much easier to watch then explain. So check out the Youtube link below:
La Cueca Chilena

Barbara's whole family is very musically talented so everyone was singing folk songs at the same time. One of her uncles plays the guitar and some other members of the family do too. Whether it was the cold air that was giving me goosebumps or if it was the family unity and harmony that was layered in the songs is unimportant, what matters is that the music was beautiful, and having my own private concert wasn't too shabby either.

So, that was my Fiestas Patrias. There's no other way to describe it but Chilean. It was perfect. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Until next time,
Avery Cropp

No comments:

Post a Comment