June 16, 2010

Three days of lots of activities!

Monday: Class



That's about all that I did but I had chocolate con churros which is the best invention on the face of the earth!







Tuesday: Carmen Flamenco Style






Merissa and I went to the show Carmen, I discovered that I can run in heels because I discovered I had the wrong ticket and literally bolted to school to fix it since Manuela doesn't have a printer. I had an hour I missed the first metro train by seconds, I missed the second metro train by seconds, I literally ran to school. Printed off my stuff and ran back. I preceded to miss the other trains by seconds as well which added 10 minutes to my craziness. I got back to the house at 6:30 p.m. and then went back on the metro to get to the theater we got into our seats with five minutes to spare.



Despite all the craziness, and me being mad at myself for being so stupid for printing the wrong ticket, the show was amazing. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to understand what was going on because I thought Carmen had more speaking parts in it. I think the original version does but this show was all Flamenco dancing. The music was piped in over the speaker system. I totally understood what the story was about as well. I think I paid more attention to the actors feet than the actual actors. Their feet were flying so fast that sometimes they were a blur. It was amazing and the costumes were fantastic. I wanted every single dress that crossed over that stage.



After the show Merissa and I did a photo shoot in Plaza De Espana and then came home for a delicious dinner of Lasagna.







Wednesday (today) check the bucket list and enjoy the game



Today was very exciting for me. I checked an item off of my bucket list. (the list that you make of all the things you want to do before you die) I saw Picasso's Guernica in real life. I don't know why that's on there but it has been since I saw it in one of my numerous Spanish classes I've taken. The painting is magnificent. It takes up one whole wall and it has it's own room!



It was quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen here. it's a beautiful masterpiece, and I just stood there in awe of it. I totally ignored Leti and her 20-minute spiel about it. It was an amazing and somewhat sickening thing to see.

Guernica is Picasso's anti-war response to the Nazi bombing, which was okayed by Franco, of a town in northern Spain called Guernica. It's in his cubist motif which is of course is Picasso's trademark. What it shows is the aftermath of the bombing and the horrors of war.

On the left near the bull, if you can see her, (they don't let you take pictures in the room you have to take them outside of the room don't ask me why) is a woman holding her dead child. In the middle is a man who is dead lying on the ground. There is another woman next to him but the one guy is blocking her, and on the far right is another woman. Through the window is a woman's head which signifies the souls that were lost. The smaller details are hard to see but they symbolize hope. There is a bird flying in the black near the bull, you don't see it until you get closer up to the painting. Near the dead man lies a flower and at the very top of the painting is a light that signifies the sun and hope that Guernica, and Spain, will rise out of the ashes of war a more peaceful country.

The Reina Sofia is definitely the most awesome museum I have been to while I've been here. I'm a sucker for Dali or Picasso, and they both have many paintings here. Unfortunately I didn't see the Dali piece with the watch (I don't know the title) They didn't have it here which I thought was strange since it's one of his more well-known works, but that's also on my bucket list. I'll have to look for it later.

After this I went to class, and after class I went to a Spanish bar and watched the futbol match between Spain and Switzerland. It was definitely a cool experience. everyone was yelling at the screen, me included--I figured I should blend in--and then we were all very disappointed when they lost. It's a tragic day in Madrid.

But for people who like my facebook status and run--Carlo--(yup I'm calling you out, I know you read this) Switzerland's goal was an ugly one, the goalie would've totally gotten it if your player hadn't run him over. Enjoy it for now, and don't party to hard tonight. I guess I've gotta cheer for the hometown team now huh? though I think Spain has a couple of other matches. If not, go USA! We did tie England the other day.

Until Next Time,

Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment