June 13, 2010

Shop and shoot til you drop

Today was a lovely day. The sun was out, the sky was blue, I didn't have to use my poor jean jacket to keep the rain off of me, and I finished my shopping for my family. Nope, I'm not telling you what I bought. You'll have to wait until I get home.

Today I went to El Rastro, The weather was perfect for it! It's this huge shopping district that pops up on Sunday mornings in Madrid, and it goes for blocks and blocks and blocks. There's everything there from t-shirts to antiques you can find anything for anybody and it's completely awesome. There were SO many people!

You don't take your handbag to El Rastro because it's a sight for pickpockets--ladies, you know where you put your cash--and I can see how they would take it from you so easily. Because there are so many people you are bumping into everyone all the time, which would be when the pickpockets snatch your stuff.I bought so many beautiful things for so many people and I only took 50 Euros there. It's the best place for cheap, wonderful stuff.

My score item was a ring that I bought from a man that made all kinds of jewelry. It's pure silver and it's inlaid with turquoise stone. It's so pretty that I've been looking at it all day, and I'm seriously considering wearing it to bed so I can see it in the morning when I wake up....yeah, I'm a freak about jewelry.
He was selling it for 28 I asked if he'd take 20 he said no, and then I remembered that I had 2 more euro in my pants pocket: 22 was the final price. He was really funny and we were joking back and forth the whole time during the bargaining.

As I left he said with a genial laugh: "Cuando más rica vuelves aquí y compraste mucho más cosas!" Translation: when you're much richer come back and buy more things.
I said "claro que si" translation: yes, of course. And I totally might too.

His stuff was amazing! Very renaissance-looking and some of you may know how much I love the renaissance period.We came home about 3 p.m. this afternoon and I checked my e-mail for a bit and then took a short nap then headed out in search of a mailbox. I didn't find one, but hopefully there are some near school because I have postcards to send! I turned it into a photography opportunity. The sky was a lovely shade of blue and I was able to take some amazing shots.

My internet is quite slow this evening, as it has been for the past few evenings, so I won't be uploading any pictures, but one of these nights I'm going out to do some night time photography too. The city is even more beautiful at night if that's even possible.

In other news I now officially have a ticket to Barcelona for 24 hours, literally. I'll leave Madrid in two weeks on Saturday June 26, arrive in Barcelona at 8:50 a.m. and leave the next day at 8:50 a.m. and get back to Madrid at 10 a.m. needless to say I'm not sleeping that day at all. At least not until I get home. It's going to be a wonderful adventure! And Merissa, my partner-in-crime, her friends she's meeting up with, and I are going to have a blast!

Until Next time,
Buenas Noches,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment