June 3, 2010

Time and Nonesuch

It's been a week of finishing stuff up so nothing super exciting has happened. I've said goodbye to the Florida kids, I've taken my last classes, and I've had my review class with my two favorite professors at school: Isabel and Andres. I just took my final test today...I'm not sure how I feel about it, and on Saturday I take a train to Madrid. By the way, may not have internet there so don't expect as many updates.

Anyway, my tangent for today:

It's amazing really how transient travelling by yourself is. The only people who know you exist are the people you make an effort to meet here and then eventually they leave you. It's a life of constant change which is probably good for my restless self, because on some days in the states I wish I could just change everything around, go somewhere new, or pretend, for just a little while to be someone different. I'm sort of like a chameleon that needs change both for my protection and my sense of place in this world.

But I can't seem to get over how odd it is that you can meet someone who completely changes the way you see the world, opens your eyes to something bigger than yourself, and then just a short time later they've left your life forever. Well, I guess not technically left your life forever, you do have contact information but it's not exactly the same thing as being able to sit down and have a face to face conversation with that person like you did for those hours, days or weeks that they were there with you.


When you travel time is not important. You have no set schedule except when you arrive where you are and when you leave the place you are at. Any conversations you have with others are at that point in time, the most important thing in your world. (I have not checked my watch once since I've been here). You forget sometimes that everyone is on their own schedule. Going different directions, off to their next big adventures, and then you look back and sometimes regret that the conversation didn't go on for longer, that you didn't see them as much as you wished you had, and now you can't do much about it but stay in contact as much as possible.

It's a strange existence, travelling, but right now I think it's what I need in my life. I need the anonymity and the ability to adapt to and change in my surroundings, and maybe the restlessness that I have at home will subside a bit, not get rid of it, ever. I will always need that restlessness as a comfort since it's what drives me to encounter new experiences and meet new people from all different backgrounds.

Time goes quickly when you travel, much more quickly than it does at home. And sometimes it seems that even if you had more time it wouldn't be enough to really learn the ins-and-outs of the city you are staying in. I know I haven't learned half as much as I could about Alicante and I don't think I ever will unless I live here for years on end. But it's been a wonderful experience all the same, and I'm definitely looking forward to Madrid.

Until Next Time,
Avery

1 comment:

  1. Youssouf MagassoubaJune 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM

    Travelling is learning. In my country, we used to say if you travel, if you don't get money, you will get knowledge.

    Whatever you describe in your post talks about the benefits of travelling.

    Nice article indeed.

    ReplyDelete