June 29, 2010

UN MONTON DE UPDATES!

Hello!

The whole city is going crazy right now because Spain just won in the World Cup against Portugal. I watched it on TV at my host-mom's house because I had to update this and do some studying for my tests on Friday. But I live right across the street from a bar so I heard all the disappointment, all the celebration, all the positive and negative reactions, all in unison, like the whole world was existing, living, breathing, just for this game. A unity I haven't experienced since after 9/11.

The Spanish are a passionate people, a loving people, A kind people. They are a people rich in history, tragedy, success, and culture that has shaped their lives and made them who they are. I can't believe that I'm leaving this place that has become my second home, in just a few short days. Time flies rapidly, too rapidly. It's a sad and happy thing at the same time.

I vary between the two extremes of never wanting to leave, and wanting to go home. Like the orchestra that I'm hearing play over at the Palacio right now...I have had high points, I have had low points, I have experienced parts that never seem to end, I have experienced parts that are nothing but a flash of memory in the recesses of my mind, and all of it has made a beautiful symphony of a trip: Life-changing, moving, and amazing.

There are no other words to describe it: Amazing covers all bases. And a part of my heart will always, always, always be in Spain.

The friends I've made, the people I've met, the experiences that I have had have formed a new person, a new me, a new outlook on life and it will be difficult to get used to that when I get back to the United States, because I will have changed but no one else has, and they'll expect me to be who I was before I left.

I don't think you can expect that after someone has been away on their own for two months in a country that was at first foreign but now feels like home. It's hard to describe, and I am usually not without words Congratulations Spain, you have successfully struck me deaf, dumb, and mute in your awesome presence.

Until Next Time,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment