May 23, 2010

A book for today...

THURSDAY: Flying solo

I had a pretty chill day today but I needed it. People in general seemed to be getting on my nerves today so I took a walk by myself down to the explanada. Concha was so cute, as I was leaving she said, "quieres un helado por su paseo." I think she knew people were annoying me. My walk took about an hour and I decided that I need to take one at least every other day because I definitely need a mental break, and this way I can discover the city the way I want to, on my own time.

After my walk Kadijha a.k.a Luna. The former student that Concha had stay here about three years ago and now has a job/internship at the hotel around the corner was over. We ended up watching a movie with Concha and Roberto.

We were going to go out with Carlo for a bit tonight but he did not let us know his plans until 10:30 and didn't want to head out until 11:30/12 so we just went to bed.



FRIDAY: Out and about

We went to Playa Postiguet today with a friend from class, Lyz, she's from Vancouver and she was new this week. We stayed there for a couple of hours talking, hanging out, and watching some volleyball players. The team that was really bad got their butts kicked by the team they were playing. It was quite entertaining. Lyz and Alexi took a nap later so I wrote some postcards, and got a call from my dad telling me that he had escaped the hospital.

We came back home after that and had some dinner. Then we took a two hour nap and woke up at midnight to leave the house by 12:30 a.m. to get to Las Ramblas and meet up with Carlo and Lyz. There were so many people there. I know it shouldn't have surprised me but it totally did. Everywhere you looked there were people: coming out of bars/clubs, going into them, leaving apartments and people trying to get you to their particular bar and everyone was just sitting outside at the patios it felt like the whole world was there.

Carlo had had some drinks with his roommates before he met up with us and he was so funny. He was like a 5-year-old at an amusement park. He was super excited we had come out with him. Since he's Mr. Nightlife as he lives right near the Ramblas and has been there for longer than we had he was our tour guide.

The first bar we went to was Mulligan's, an Irish pub. Sangria was free for the girls so we had a glass. The bar was small but nice and the dance floor area in the back left a lot to be desired but it was fun to people watch.

Later we grabbed a table outside of another bar and we all ordered beers. Yes Miss Kristy Bendickson no fruity drink for me, the world just stopped turning for you I know. After the sangria it wasn't that bad actually. haha.

After this Carlo took us to a bar called Carpe Diem. It's a little dive bar in a back alleyway of the ramblas. The place had been turned into a club style area which wasn't very effective as it was super super small. There was definitely not enough room for everyone, I'm pretty sure that some fire codes were broken but that's okay. When in Spain...

We decided to leave around 3:00 since we all had to get up the next morning to go to Altea with school. Some guys tried to split the girls up as we were leaving by asking to dance with us but we all wanted to go so maybe we'll see them some other night. (they were kind of shady anyway)

Alexi and I got back around 3:30 which is early in Spain. This was confirmed when Concha asked us when we got back and she said "temprano eh?" Well they know how to party.

And don't worry mom, the streets around Alicante are really well-lit so we were super safe.

I fell asleep around 4 and was up and getting ready to go to Altea by 8:30. I was so tired but it was a fun night, definitely worth it.

SATURDAY: Altea Bound

We met up with the rest of the group around 10:00 a.m. and then we went to the tranvia station and the school bought our tickets to Altea. YAY FREE STUFF! Isabel was the only professor that came with us, but I love her so it was a great time. We hung out with her and the rest of our class that went there that same day. Samuel and Sgulli from Korea, Lyz, and Carlo and a friend of his that speaks german with him all the time.

The tranvia ride took about two hours. It was super long but a local guy who definitely had the hots for Isabel talked with most of us the whole time. It was fun to see him try.

After the bus-ride I found the place that I want to live in my next life: Altea, Spain. I would in this life but I definately can't go from cosmopolitan to a little tourist town/fishing village 2 hours from the nearest large city.

There's not much to do and the life of a fisherman/restaurant owner just wouldn't fit my style but I understand why someone would choose it because if you can live in a gemstone city like that the rest of life would be worth it.

White houses, red roofs, flowers of every shape, size and color seeming to bloom out of nowhere, all against the backdrop of turquoise blue water. Now that's my version of Paradise. Beautiful. Breathtaking. Peaceful. It's a very inspiring place. I see why there's an art school there. There are so many beautiful things to take pictures of. I was super exhausted tonight, so I didn't go out but that's for next week.

TODAY: Playa San Juan all day today with Concha and Roberto. it was nice and relaxing. I switch classes tomorrow so it should be an interesting day.

Told you I'd write a book!
Until Next Time,
Avery

2 comments:

  1. Youssouf MagassoubaMay 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM

    Flying solo is a good thing but you need to be more informed about places to go. In my country, Mali, young boys and girls may follow you chanting "toubabou" which means the white man or woman. In some places, they may want to sell you things because white means rich. Some young men may attempt to rob you as they get closer to you. In sum, it is very interesting to experience it. The good thing is that you must not improvise anything while flying solo, just go to places you had in mind. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off about the Ramblas---my favorite place to go out. We all really loved Havanna's and this little chupiteria (shot bar) up the way. I guess by now it's too late to give you bar recommendations, but it was great to read about your experiences with the nightlife---I was suprised with how late it ran as well!

    I loved Altea and found this gorgeous graffiti on a roof there, I cherish the picture. It's fun to spend the afternoon in a quaint little white-washed oceanside village, but I couldn't imagine it being home... Benidorm is on the way to Altea on the tranvia, did you get a chance to see it? Unbelievable. anyway, cool!

    ReplyDelete