May 28, 2010

Two day update

Yesterday was a wonderful day. I had class and listened to my new professor talk the whole time which I am totally okay with because he is quite handsome so even though we're just learning grammar it is very interesting (a.k.a I zone out and just look at him and am jolted back to reality when he asks me a question) yup, I'm a total girl. It’s definitely not good because subjunctive is tough, oh well an excuse to ask for extra help. haha.

Anyway I had a good day. We went for Tapas with our professors Maya and Andrés (my new prof) The restaurant that we went to was called Lizarran's and what happens here is that the waiters bring out pinxos (pinch-chohs) which is basically just a bunch of appetizers put together by a toothpick. The toothpicks are different sizes which signify different prices: Small, Medium and Large. They don't exactly fill you up so you have to very conscious of how many things you have eaten and keep a mental tally in your head. I had fish, shrimp, chicken nugget, and beef surrounded by breading. It was all really delicious, and a really cool experience.

Carlo, Carlo's friend from Switzerland, Patrick, Lyz, Samuel, and Sullgi from my first class came with us so we hung out with them all night which was great because I've definitely missed having them in class and seeing them every day.

After tapas we went out to a bar where this kid from Florida in my class, Andrew, was playing some Jazz keyboards for one night only. He's a music major and has been playing for 12 years. He's a really annoying person to have in class because he thinks he knows more than the teacher, he totally doesn't, and that just bugs me. As obnoxious as he is though I do have to give the kid props, he can play a mean keyboard but i don't think he'll be making the big-time in this lifetime. The bar that we were in was made to look like an old speakeasy so it was a cool place to go see, sit and pass some time with friend’s in.

After awhile we went to a patio bar. We had some drinks and hung out until 2:30/3 a.m. just sitting, talking and enjoying each other's company. It was fun, and I had a good time. Today was a good day but a little difficult. I had to say my first goodbye to Lyz today. She leaves for Barcelona tomorrow. After Alexi and I were done having some coffee with our class and professor, we gave her a ring and decided to meet up for a coffee because it was too cold to go to the beach. So we met up for coffee in this beautiful outdoor cafe and had some coffee and tea and chatted for awhile. I'm glad we got to spend some time with her before she left. Then we had to say goodbye. It was weird to think that we had gotten so close to her in just two weeks and then had to say goodbye with no plans to meet again in the future.

That's going to be a common occurrence though in the next couple of weeks so I should get used to it. I have her as a friend on Facebook though so it's not like we won't have any contact again whatsoever. It was just really strange. But, as Concha told me tonight after dinner: "Life is like a train in a train station: a continuous cycle of meetings and the only way to truly appreciate them is to live in the moment." She's so smart. I love her.

On the way home Alexi and I got stuck in a thunderstorm so it was a good thing that we had packed for the beach as our towels blocked the rain from us on our walk home. We would've been soaked without them. Of course I found my umbrella that I haven't been able to find for the past week, in the bottom of my beach bag the minute I got home. Oh well, it was an adventure. Tomorrow we go to Valencia with our class! I'm so excited!

Buenas Noches,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment