May 8, 2010

Estoy Aqui

Hey all!

I have wifi at my family's house so you can be expecting regular updates this month!

I'm safe and sound in Alicante listening to spanish radio while the smell of a delicious spanish dinner (cena) wafts into my room.

It's about 7:00p.m. my time now all you lovely science people I know can do the math.



Everything still feels like a dream.

I can't believe that I am actually here! it's all so surreal and it hasn't hit me quite yet. I'm sure it will tomorrow when I wake up in a bed that is not mine. Now, that's something I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bed tonight and not in an airplane seats. After 30 hours (or what seemed like 30 hours) living in airports I'm glad I get to sleep horizontal instead of upright tonight.



I had two perfect moments today and I'd like to share them with you:

Not only did I sleep through most of my night flight (it was the most wonderful quiet you've ever heard in your life) I woke up just as we were flying into Madrid. I was sitting near the window during the flight which was wonderful because I got to enjoy what I'm about to tell you. Alexi, the girl I'm travelling with, wasn't so lucky she missed it. We flew into Madrid around 7:00a.m. this morning and it looked as though I was travelling through blue cotton candy clouds. After a short while we went below the cloud coverage and right there before my eyes was one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen. It was an explosion of golds, reds, and purples. It hit the wing of the plane just right and it was lovely. I have a picture that I'll update when I'm not about to lose my battery on my laptop.


My other perfect moment, and this is when I think I really realized that I was here was during lunch at my Senora's house. She has the most beautiful porch attached to her apartment. It's got a lovely dining set of white-painted iron with a couple chairs and it looks out over the Gran Avenida. She even has fake grass on the floor so that it feels like you're outside though you're not. Near the house are some beautiful old buildings which all had the day's wash hanging outside on the porch. A lady stuck her head out and talked to the kids playing on the street while the Spanish Radio was playing in the background, and my Senora, Concha was singing along.



That's when I kind of knew I was here. I actually turned to Alexi and said "does it still feel like a dream to you too?"



she said "yes."





Until next time,

Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment