May 14, 2010

A lot to update


So we'll start with El Castillo de Santa Barbara. We went there on Wednesday. Whether you read up on it or not I don't know but basically El Castillo is an old castle on the port of Alicante. It was held by the moors at first and then the Christians took it over later. During the War that led to Franco's dictatorship it was used as a Prisoner of war camp and today it's a beautiful place rich in history that you can just go see. IT'S SO COOL! The trip definitely satisfied my inner geek. Sampere took a chartered bus to the castle because there were probably about 50 of us. There is a group here from Florida that has about 40 kids so they were half of it. The rest of us were professors or people from Switzerland, Germany, Britain, Colombia and Minnesota.

It's an absolutely gorgeous place and the view of Alicante is magnificent. You can see the tops of all the houses with the mountains in the distance. The inside is pretty as well. It was a lot of fun and I took lots of pictures.






After we went to El Castillo we went through the old part of town. It's simple and quaint and oh so beautiful. I definitely want to get lost there someday soon to take it all in.






Yesterday we went out with our professors for drinks...yeah, I thought that it was weird too but after I got over the fact that I was out with my professors chilling in a bar and drinking a mojito it was alright. The group from Florida came with us too and a couple of my European friends Carlo and Genifer joined us as well. The bars here are my kind of bars. People don't go out to get wasted, they go out to have a couple drinks and enjoy the company of their friends. I liked it. It was a new experience and I had a lot of fun.

I love my professors here. Isabel and Maya are wonderful and they really enjoy what they teach, and even if it's the most boring topic ever, grammar, they manage to make it fun. Even though I hate the subject I love going to class because the professors love what they teach.
We also have optional classes that we can choose to go to. So I'm going to culture classes about Alicante. I've learned about Different languages that are spoken here (It's not all Spanish) and La Reconquista (the re-conquering of Spain by the Christians with Fernando and Isabel) and on Monday Alexi and I are staying after our classes are done in order to go to the class on communication which teaches you how to make business calls and write business letters in Spanish and Spain in particular.

Tonight we are going out with our host brother Roberto and we're going to see the movie Robin Hood in Spanish which should also be a cool new experience. I'm kind of interested to see how weird it will be to see Russell Crowe on screen but not hear Russell Crowe talk if the movie is dubbed over.

The rest of the weekend is up for grabs but I'm sure that it will be an adventure.

I think Concha said that we're going to La Playa de San Juan tomorrow.

Until next time,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment