May 18, 2010

The time difference has never sucked so much

Today has been a difficult day.

I didn't sleep well last night because my brain wouldn't shut up, and just as I was falling asleep buses started to drive by constantly. It was frustrating. Because of a lack of sleep I couldn't concentrate in class, and had some trouble speaking. My mind was also elsewhere because my aunt and my dad are both having surgery today and I won't know anything from my mom until probably tomorrow because she won't want to call me at 2 a.m. my time. Then one of my homework assignments was to think about a person in your family, and write about them. The first person I thought of was my Grandma Novak, and those of you that know me, or know her, know that that is always a tough subject. (she has Alzheimer's) so homework was a bummer.

But despite all the difficulties it's been a good day. Alexi and I didn't go to the beach, but we met a new person today. She's super sweet, and she used to be a boarder here at Concha's house about three years ago. She was learning spanish as well. It's horrible that I didn't catch her name but her nickname that Roberto has for her is Luna. She's super nice and we sat with Concha and Roberto and chatted with her for awhile in spanish of course. She's from France and now she works here in Alicante at a hotel around the corner.

We took a walk around the city for awhile after we chatted. Roberto helped us find the train station where we'll buy our tickets to Madrid in a few days. And then he took all three of us: Alexi, Luna and I through the streets of Las Ramblas.

This is where I really realized that I was homesick because as we were turning a corner I heard the faint strains of a familiar song being played by a street musician. I couldn't quite place it at first, and I still can't remember the title but I do know that it was a choir song I sang with one of my women's choirs. It's in latin. It took me by surprise and socked me in the gut. I literally gasped when I heard it, and had to keep myself from crying. Luna asked me what was wrong and I said "Nada, solomente me encanto este canciĆ³n" We followed the music and a man was sitting on the street corner playing a cello. It was the most beautiful sound I have heard in a while. As we walked past the song followed me until I couldn't hear it anymore. I think it was a sign telling me that everything is going to be fine and tomorrow will be a better day.

I love and miss you all!
until next time.
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment