May 19, 2010

Life is sweet in Spain again

Today was much better than yesterday. Surgeries went well on the other side of the pond and I polished up on the preterite and imperfect in class. I slept well last night, and I think I might've had a dream that was partly in Spanish which is good because it means I'm learning more and more of the language.

Classes were shortened today because we went to El Museo Arquelogico or El Marq this afternoon with school. The walk to get there was brutal but I think it was worth it.

El Marq used to be an old hospital but was then converted into a museum in 2002. In 2006 it won an award for the best museum in Europe which I definitely agree with. It was really cool. There were a ton of interactive exhibits for people to go to which was great for kids and fed my inner history geekoid. I'm a sucker for being able to interact with history.

At El Marq there are two exhibits. One exhibit is a permanent exhibit about the history of Alicante. The other changes a lot. The one that changes is about the mummies right now. It would've been cool to see but I felt that it would be more important for me to learn more about the history of the place where I'm at. If I really want to see the mummies I have 2 more weeks here. Wow, that went super fast.

I learned a lot about prehistoric times, the Iberians, the Roman takeover of Alicante, and the clash between the Christians and Moors. The professor, Beten, that taught about the clash between the Christians and Moors in one of the optional classes I've been to was our own private tour guide, and she knew a lot of stuff so I learned loads of information. It was awesome.

After the museum Alexi and I went for drinks at a bar with Carlo and Lyz. We had a fun time hanging out and chatting and then we came home and had a wonderful spanish dinner at Concha's house.

Life is sweet in Spain again.
Until next time,
Avery

1 comment:

  1. dreaming in Spanish is the GREATEST sign. Sounds like amazing progress, now all you have to do is POST A NEW BLOG IN SPANISH por favor!

    Quiero oir la idioma mas, tengo celos de ti...

    ReplyDelete